SKILLS FOR BEGINNING CONSULTATIONS EFFECTIVELY
- Module 1-0 – How do these skills promote better and safer care?
- Module 1-1 – Is Your Preparation Positively Promoting Good Performance?
- Module 1-2 – How Can You Go Home With Energy To Spare?
- Module 1-3 – Why Is Rapport Like Money?
- Module 1-4 – What do you say after you say hello?
- Module 1-5 – How Is A Consultation Like A Business Meeting?
- Module 1-6 – Can You Learn To Love The Patient Who Brings A List?
Listen to all the podcasts in this module via the playlist below. Each podcast relates to a chapter, as listed in the contents above. A useful omnibus episode is also included, which compiles all the chapters into one podcast.
Download, share and listen at your leisure in the order of your choice. There is supporting PDF documentation further down this page related to each chapter too.
Is Your Preparation Positively Promoting Good Performance?
How Can You Go Home With Energy To Spare?
Why Is Rapport Like Money?
What Do You Say After You Say Hello?
How can we help today?
Is ‘How can we help today?’ the best opening question?
It is certainly a very commonly used opening question.
What can I do for you today?
Are there any alternatives to ‘What can I do for you today?’
Watch for Dr Thomas encouraging Mark’s contribution at 0:30
What are we talking about?
Dr Thomas uses the question ‘Was there anything else that you were planning to talk about?‘ to screen for other issues Mark might want discuss.
How Is A Consultation Like A Business Meeting?
Agenda setting - all of the patient's agenda items discovered at the start.
Here Dr Thomas spends some time to clarify all the issues the patient wants to cover in this appointment. Compare with the previous video where no screening takes place.
Agenda setting - no screening
In this video the doctor greets the patient and they spend quite some time talking about a mole. When wrapping this up, two other important problems come up…
Can You Learn To Love A Patient Who Brings A List?